By Jan Murray
You can help your child make the transition from sleeping in a cot to a bed when you and your child are ready. You will find this transition is the easiest to manage after your child turns 2 years old.
Below are some signs that indicate that it is time for your infant to move out of their cot.
- Climbs or falls head first out of their cot
- Thrashes around in their cot and seems unable to get comfortable
- Asks you for a "big bed"
- When they are toilet trained by day and then start to call out at night to use the toilet
- A new baby coming and the cot will be needed
Suggestions that can help your child move out of a cot and into a bed...
- Make the changes when there are no other changes happening in the child's life
- If another baby is on the way, make the changes at least 2 months before or after their arrival
- They may like to help you chose the sheets
- Idea 1: Take away the cot surrounds and place the cot mattress on the floor in the same spot for a few days or a week before changing into the bed
- Idea 2: Bring the big bed into the same room as the cot, leaving cot assembled and start day naps and reading books on their new bed for a week before sleeping in it
- Have a calm and comforting pre-bedtime routine established before making the transition. Have some of this on the big bed reading or chatting
- Tuck them in and ensure they know you expect them to stay in bed
- If they get out of bed, take their hand and walk them back to bed calmly and confidently, with no eye contact or conversation. Continue walking them back in this manner until they stay in their bed. Do this consistently for 3 weeks before the new habit of sleeping in a bed is established.
For much more practical and useful information on toddler development and how to cope day to day read 'Mum, Baby & Toddler - together we learn'
Jan Murray has been committed to studying and working as a Registered Nurse, Midwife and Child Health Nurse for over 25 years. Jan is a mother of 5, child health consultant who co-founded and directs of Settle Petal - http://www.settlepetal.com Through her respected business Jan provides information and support for parents to develop their knowledge base, understanding, skills and attitudes needed to maintain and enhance personal health and physical development of all members of their family. Jan has a proven track record that demonstrates how she can unlock the secrets to helping babies settle, sleep and grow.